Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Review: Go to My Grave by Catriona McPherson

Author: Catriona McPherson
Publisher: Minatour Books
Date of publication: October 2018

Donna Weaver has put everything into The Breakers, a Bed and Breakfast that she and her mother are opening on a remote stretch of beach. Now it waits - freshly painted, richly furnished, filled with flowers.

But as the guests arrive, they feel like they've been here before. Amid home-baked scones, gorgeous guest rooms, and lavish dinners fit for a king, the feeling of menace grows. 

Someone has broken their vow. Someone is playing games. And then the games turn deadly...


I knew very little going into Go to My Grave before I picked up the audioboook.  But I love stories like And then There were None where a group of people end up in a house together and people start dying.  In this one, the bed and breakfast at The Breakers ends up being a birthday reunion for a group of family members.  It's a reunion that brings up a lot of bad memories.

For the most part, I enjoyed the book.  The story is told through Donna's perspective and through events that happened back int the 90s when the B&B was a summer rental property.    I did call the main twist pretty early on, but there was one aspect of it that I didn't call.  What I had a hard time with was none of the characters were remotely likable.  Most of the group were just horrible human beings.  I found myself hoping that they would get what they had coming to them.  Through the flashback scenes, we can see  their behavior and attitudes haven't changed since they were younger.  The only one I had any real sympathy for was Donna.  

The book was fairly fast paced; enough to keep me interested in  seeing how it all played out.  I wasn't happy with the ending though.  It was too tidy and anticlimactic.  Maybe an epilogue would have satisfied me more.  It's a decent thriller and I'd recommend checking it out.  It just wasn't what I was hoping for.

No comments: