Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Review: Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

Author: Riley Sager
Publisher: Dutton
Publication Date: July 2019

No visitors. No nights spent away from the apartment. No disturbing the other residents, all of whom are rich or famous or both. These are the only rules for Jules Larsen's new job as an apartment sitter at the Bartholomew, one of Manhattan's most high-profile and mysterious buildings. Recently heartbroken and just plain broke, Jules is taken in by the splendor of her surroundings and accepts the terms, ready to leave her past life behind.

As she gets to know the residents and staff of the Bartholomew, Jules finds herself drawn to fellow apartment sitter Ingrid, who comfortingly, disturbingly reminds her of the sister she lost eight years ago. When Ingrid confides that the Bartholomew is not what it seems and the dark history hidden beneath its gleaming facade is starting to frighten her, Jules brushes it off as a harmless ghost story—until the next day, when Ingrid disappears.


I wish I could say that I loved Lock Every Door.  But I really can't.  I'm getting a bit tired of buying into the hype of a book, only to be let down when I actually read it.  This book has received rave reviews, but I don't see it. The only other book that I have read by this author was Final Girls and I liked that one OK. I kind of feel the same way about this book.  It was just kind of meh.  

The most disappointing part of the book was the ending.  It was such a far-fetched twist and at the same time kind of a cop out.  Up until that reveal, I was actually almost on board with the way I thought the book was headed.   I think it would have made for a more satisfying story in the end.  The main character was frustrating and had a lot of TSTL moments.  In the end, this was not a "thriller".  I'd call it an OK mystery.  Not one I would necessarily recommend unless you didn't have much else to read on hand.

No comments: