Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Review: The Stitchers by Lorien Lawrence

Author: Lorien Lawrence
Publisher: Harry N. Adams
Publication Date:AUgust 2020

Something strange is happening on Goodie Lane . . .
 
Thirteen-year-old Quinn Parker knows that there’s something off about her neighbors. She calls them “the Oldies” because they’ve lived on Goodie Lane for as long as anyone can remember, but they never seem to age. Are they vampires? Or aliens? Or getting secret experimental surgeries? Or is Quinn’s imagination just running wild again?

If her dad were still around, he’d believe her. When he was alive, they’d come up with all sorts of theories about the Oldies. Now, Quinn’s determined to keep the investigation going with the help of Mike, her neighbor and maybe-crush. They’ll have to search for clues and follow the mystery wherever it leads—even if it’s to the eerie pond at the end of the street that’s said to have its own sinister secrets. But the Oldies are on to them. And the closer Quinn and Mike get to uncovering the answers, the more they realize just how terrifying the truth may be.

The Stitchers was a bonus borrow audiobook on Hoopla last moth.  I love the bonus borrows because it allows me to try out books without using up my allotted monthly borrows.  I have found a few good books that way.  The Stitchers is one of those books.  It is a middle grade story that reminded me of R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series.  It involves Quinn and her friend Mike who team up to figure out what is really going on with the weird people that live on their street.  

I really enjoyed this one.  I know I would have loved it in middle school.  It was creepy and had just the right amount of ick factor for a middle grade reader.  I loved the characters and their relationships.  Quinn and Mike were cute as they navigated becoming friends as well as budding crushes.  They made a great team.   I also loved Quinn's relationship with her mom and how they were working through their grief over the loss of Quinn's dad. Quinn's friends were fun and exactly what she needed.  I won't spoil what was going on, you'll have to read to see.  The epilogue left an opening for the next book.  I can't wait to read it.  I highly recommend this one. It would make a great addition in any middle grade library.




No comments: