Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

10 on The 10th

This month's 10 is the 10 best books I've read in '10.

Some of these will be entire series, I refuse to pick just one book from a larger body of work.

1. Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts, 1st in the series is Unholy Ghosts.

2. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe.

3. The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson (Yes, those Girl With The Dragon Tattoo books.)

4. Sleepless by Charlie Huston

5. Johannes Cabal The Detective by Jonathan L. Howard (Second in the series, read in order for best effect.)

6. New Blood by Gail Dayton First in a new series, Blood Magic.

7. Willing Victim by Cara McKenna (I also recommend everything with her name on it.)

8. The Native Star by M.K. Hobson

9. The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook (Her entire Iron Seas series is recommended, TID is the first book - but there is a short prequel Here There Be Monsters in the Burning Up anthology.)

10. Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, 1st book is Magic Bites.

Books are in no particular order - ok #1 is #1 for a damn good reason. Kane has done something new & wonderful in the Urban Fantasy universe. Pay attention to her & Meljean Brook, both of these authors are going to be considered defining for their genres. Come back in 5 years and congratulate me on my psychic prowess. I can wait, I can also say "I told you so." ;)

All the others... just buy them and read them. Seriously, I love them all and it's hard for me to stop at 10. I easily have another 10 I could recommend, but I edited this list for popularity too. I pulled off some books, like Changes by Jim Butcher - great book, but the man gets plenty of love. Yes, Larsson isn't hurting either, but when I'm obsessed with your characters... ok I could say the same for Butcher. See why this is making me pull my hair out?

No comments: