Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

From the Dead


Author: John Herrick
Publisher: Segue Blue

A preacher’s son. A father in hiding. A guilty heart filled with secrets.

When Jesse Barlow escaped to Hollywood at age eighteen, he hungered for freedom, fame and fortune. Eleven years later, his track record of failure results in a drug-induced suicide attempt. Revived at death’s doorstep, Jesse returns to his Ohio hometown to make amends with his preacher father, a former love, and Jesse’s own secret son. But Jesse’s renewed commitment becomes a baptism by fire when his son’s advanced illness calls for a sacrifice—one that could cost Jesse the very life he regained.

A story of mercy, hope, and second chances, From The Dead captures the human spirit with tragedy and joy.


From the Dead is the debut novel by John Herrick. It is the story of Jesse and his return home after running to California in his youth to pursue his dreams of fame and fortune. 10 years later, he has been used, abused, and is still searching. It is upon returning to his childhood home that he really begins to grow up and mature. I enjoyed watching Jesse grow and learn how to be unselfish and take responsibility. One of the things that drew me to the story is that it is about regrets and making amends. It is also about letting go of the guilt you feel for past decisions and how you must forgive yourself and let go in order to truly be happy. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was a little skeptical because I was afraid it would be overly preachy, but the religious aspect of the book was subtle and really enhanced the story. It was interesting to see how 2 siblings who grew up in the same household handled being a preacher's kid differently. I especially liked Chuck, Jesse’s Dad, as he was someone who knows he has faults, admits that he doesn’t have all of the answers, but still has faith and hope. I would definitely recommend this book. It was an engrossing tale that drew me in from the first chapter. I wanted to see Jesse succeed. I loved all of the characters and know that they will stay with me for a long time to come. My only regret is that that tale ended too soon. I would have liked more of an epilogue, especially regarding Jesse and Caitlyn, but that is personal preference. I look forward to see what Mr. Herrick comes up with next! 4 stars

-- Kari



*note: I have been provided a review copy of From the Dead for review by author John Herrick. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me. - Kari*

1 comment:

brandileigh2003 said...

I thought the themes of religion were weaved in well too!
Thanks for review.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog