Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Wolves of Andover

by:  Kathleen Kent
published by:  Reagan Arthur Books

In the harsh wilderness of colonial Massachusetts, Martha Allen works as a servant in her cousin's household, taking charge and locking wills with everyone. Thomas Carrier labors for the family and is known both for his immense strength and size and mysterious past. The two begin a courtship that suits their independent natures, with Thomas slowly revealing the story of his part in the English Civil War. But in the rugged new world they inhabit, danger is ever present, whether it be from the assassins sent from London to kill the executioner of Charles I or the wolves-in many forms-who hunt for blood.

I LOVED this book.  I listened to the audiobook, but still, I loved it.  The pace and the progress the the story was perfect.  The author slowly revealed tiny little bits of the story so that you constantly wanted to know more. 

This was one of those really interesting books that made you feel like you were learning something while you were reading.  It was a fantastic historical novel as well as a lovely romance.  The afterword as a lot of information regarding the history included in the book that was very interesting and made me want to read Kathleen Kent's other book, The Heretic's Daughter.

As I said, I listened to the audiobook and I'd highly recommend it.  The reader, Ellen Archer, did a superb job.  Thanks to the Hachette group for providing the audiobook!

1 comment:

lisa :) said...

I really liked The Heretic's Daughter and didn't realize that Kent had another novel! I'll have to check it out - thanks for the review!