Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Raven Black

by: Ann Cleeves

Set in the Shetland Islands of Scotland, the story opens in the frigid cold of January.  The body of a teenage girl is found and all the locals pin the murder on the resident simpleton.  Detective Jimmy Perez has his doubts and sets about to investigate this murder and a previous unsolved disappearance that may be linked.

First off I'll say that I always love book that are set in places that I know nothing about.  I also love when books are written by people from other countries and they use their local dialects.  Ann Cleeves is British and she uses all those cute British colloquialisms that Americans just eat up.   I thought overall it was pretty good.  It was a tad bit slow, but that might just be me.  I've had a cold this week and I haven't been able to read as much as usual and maybe it just took me longer than usual to get through it.  The end was a surprise to me, I didn't see it coming.  I thought the writer really had a knack for creating a visualization of the area, it made me want to visit.

This is the first of four books in the Jimmy Perez series.  I have a dear love of series so I'll probably have to read the rest of them now!

No comments: