Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Blood and Steel (Novellette)

Author:Angela Knight
Publisher: Red Sage Publishing

Elyn Castel spent 50 years as the slave of a vampire sociopath. Now, thanks to cyborg bodyguard Jarl “Blade” Bladin, Kruz is dead. But Blade is after Elyn now, and she has to do everything she can to get away from Blade. But that’s easier said than done…

Blood and Steel is a new novellette by Angela Knight. Having never read anything else by her, I can't really compare this short story to any of her longer works. It was a very fast read since it is a novella, but I felt like I came into the middle of a movie and had to take a few minutes to orient myself before I could figure out what was going on. I really think this tale would have worked better as a longer story with more background on both characters. It had great potential, but for me it fell short. I didn't buy the relationship between Elyn and Blade, especially given Elyn's history that is really only eluded to here. Maybe if there had been more back story, I might have liked it more. The loves scenes were pretty good, but not enough to make me really like it.

I would recommend it if you are in the mood for something quick with pretty well done love scenes, pick it up.

--Kari

* note: I read a complimentary copy of Blood and Steel supplied courtesy of the publisher. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There's always a time that a quick novel or novelette is a good choice.
Mike
PS Thanks for this review, it was well done.