Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

Books we Didn't Finish - December Edition



Anatomy of a Misfit: I'm not sure who this book is being marketed to but I do NOT recommend it for any reader under 17.  Within the first few pages, I was put off by the offensive language that one boy uses to describe a female classmate.  While I'm sure boys do talk about girls like that, I was put off.  I also didn't like that way the main character spoke about her best friend. Since when is it OK to call your "best friend" a slut? I knew after those two instances that I would not like this book.

Once upon a Billionaire:  What happened to this series?  I enjoyed the first two books. But book three was just OK and this one I could not finish if you paid me. I'm all for "Cinderella" type romances.  But this one was just dumb.  I had a really hard time buying that Maylee and Griffin would be able to find any type of relationship.  He was an ass to her from the beginning and she was just plain TSTL.  Do people like that even exist anymore?  You would think she lived in a cave her whole life. I was also dumbfounded by the change in Gretchen's character.  When did she get to mean? I got about 25% in and couldn't take anymore.  I'll give the 5th book a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Bone Seeker: I shouldn't have been surprised after not loving the second book that I didn't end up finishing this book.  This one was  just as boring.  Too many Inuit words and characters to keep track of.  The names all sounded the same.  I also have lost interest in the main character.  She was still depressing.  I'm definitely done with the series now.  It's too bad because I really liked the first book.


Falling Into Place:  I'm not a fan of non-linear format storytelling.  To some degree it's ok.   Maybe if you start at Z and move backwards to point A.  Or start at point K and work your way forward and backwards to point A and Z.  I can live with
that.  But this book was kinds like A to F then R then lets go to C and then M.  It was all over the place.  I don't like that kind of format, it's work to keep up with.  Pleasure reading should not be work.

Love is the Drug:  I was really excited for this book.  The cover is awesome.  Then I kinda got less excited the more I read what it was about.  But no matter, it had a good title and a fantastic cover.  Then I got started and it was just all downhill from there.  I just couldn't get into this book.  It just wasn't working for me at all.  The characters seemed snobby and elitist and whiny.  Such a bummer.

No comments: