Pages

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Burn For Me by Ilona Andrews

Author: Ilona Andrews
Publisher: Avon
Date of publication: October 2014

Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn’t sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she’s kidnapped by Connor “Mad” Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run or surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan’s after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she’s getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.
 




Burn for Me is a paranormal Romance/ urban fanstasy.  It's been a while since I read one of these, but I was intrigued.  Basically, the world as we know it consists of houses of magic (almost like a caste system) and each house has a Prime.  A Prime is someone who has the highest level of magic.  Not everyone has magic as some people are labeled as duds (I think that was the term used...don't quote me).  Nevada runs a detective agency, has lots of debt and is trying to support her siblings, mother and grandmother.  "Mad" Rogan is a powerful Prime who agrees to help her find a Prime who can set things on fire.

With me still?  For the most part, I enjoyed the book.  I'm not sure I completely "got" the world of magic, but I was able to put that aside and finish the book purely for its entertainment value.   I liked Nevada.  Her ability was kind of cool in that she could tell when people were lying.  She was a strong kick ass kind of character.  Her loyalty to her family made her that much more likable.  "Mad" Rogan was just kind of OK for me.  Honestly, I thought he was a major asshole throughout most of the book.  He really took a long time to grow on me.

The peripheral characters made the book funny (especially the grandmother) and the mystery rounded it out nicely.  There were some intense action scenes that I think would translate very well on the big screen.  There really isn't any "romance", but the book ends with a window open for some major romance in the next book White Hot, which just came out in May.  I have that one on my list, so keep an eye out for a review coming soon.  If you missed this one, I do recommend giving it a try.  I was entertained.


No comments: