Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Review: The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky

Author
: Goldy Moldavsky
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Publication Date: April 2021

New girl Rachel Chavez is eager to make a fresh start at Manchester Prep. But as one of the few scholarship kids, Rachel struggles to fit in, and when she gets caught up in a prank gone awry, she ends up with more enemies than friends.

To her surprise, however, the prank attracts the attention of the Mary Shelley Club, a secret club of students with one objective: come up with the scariest prank to orchestrate real fear. But as the pranks escalate, the competition turns cutthroat and takes on a life of its own.

When the tables are turned and someone targets the club itself, Rachel must track down the real-life monster in their midst . . . even if it means finally confronting the dark secrets from her past.


 The Mary Shelley Club involves Rachel who is new to the elite private school her mother works at.  She is hoping to start over after a tragedy the year before.  Her love of horror movies draws her to a secret club whose members like to play the game of fear.  Is it all fun and games or are the games getting too dangerous?

I thought this book was a lot of fun.  It reminded me of a teen slasher type film.  As a horror fan, I could see where the the author found her inspiration. I enjoyed the horror references  found throughout the story.  While most of the characters are unlikable, I found that I did like Rachel.  I thought her struggle with the PTSD from her trauma was valid. As was her internal struggle with her need for the rush she got from the game and if it makes her love of the game made her a bad person.  I did call one twist, but there are a few that I didn't call.  The ending did leave room for a sequel, but I also would be fine with it being a stand alone.  This is the first book I have read by this author.  I look forward to trying out some of her other works.  I definitely recommend this one. 




No comments: