Pages

Friday, February 4, 2022

Review: Last One to Die by Cynthia Murphy

Author: Cynthia Murphy
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: January 2021 

Young, brunette women are being attacked in the city of London.

16-year-old, Irish-born Niamh has just arrived for the summer, and quickly discovers that the girls being attacked look frighteningly similar to her.

Determined to make it through her Drama Course, Niamh is placed at the Victorian Museum to put her drama skills to the test, and there she meets Tommy: he’s kind, fun, attentive, and really hot! . . . Nonetheless, there's something eerie about the museum.

As the two strands of present-day serial attacker and sinister Victorian history start to collide, Niamh realizes that things are not as they seem. Will she be next?

Last One to Die features Niamh, an aspiring actress, who is in London for a summer theater workshop.  The day she gets there, the girl she switches rooms with dies.  AS the days go on, girls who have a connection with Niamh start dying.  They all look kind of like her.  

This one was just OK for me.  What I did like about the book was the characters.  They weren't boring or annoying.  I also liked the setting of the creepy library.  The museum sounded like fun place that I would like to visit.  However, I had several issues with it.  It was predictable.  I figured out who the killer was very early on.  Girls keep dying around Niamh and it seems she is in danger herself.  Yet, she goes around the city freely with no fear.  There were a few places where the day changed without warning. I didn't love reveal of what was really going on.  It just didn't work for me.  I would have liked it more if it in a different direction.     It's not a bad book.  It's a quick read, but I've read better.  

No comments: