Pages

Friday, March 17, 2023

Review: Bad Dolls by Rachel Harrison

Author: Rachel Harrison
Publisher: Berkeley
Publication date: December 2022

In this stunning new collection of four horror stories, Bram Stoker Award nominee Rachel Harrison explores themes of body image, complicated female friendship, heartbreak and hauntings.

I think I'm going to have to admit to myself that this author is for me.  I have read 2 of her other books, which I gave 2 stars to) and DNF'd a third.  This is my final try.  I love horror anthologies so I had high hoped for Bad Dolls. The collection has four short stories.  Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy any of them.

Out of the four, the only one that I remotely kind of enjoyed was "Goblin".  I liked the twisted ending.  Other than that, the other three had promise.  The openings to the stories were intriguing enough to make me listen.  However, each one lost gas halfway through and just petered out.  Other than Goblin, none of them had great endings.  It felt like the author just didn't know how to end them, maybe?  This is probably on me.  When I read a horror anthology, I want horror.  None of these were close to what I would call horror.  They were essentially boring.  I think fans of this author will like these.  They just weren't for me.  


No comments: