Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Review: Flight by Laura Griffin

Author: Laura Griffin
Publisher: Berkely
Publication Date:  March 2021

When former forensic photographer Miranda Rhoads moves to the seaside town of Lost Beach, she's decided to make her living as a wildlife photographer and put crime scenes behind her. But her plans are quickly upended when one morning, she comes across a couple sleeping in a canoe, entwined in an embrace. Looking closer, she realizes the man and woman aren't asleep – they've been murdered.

Detective Joel Breda sets out to find answers – not only about the unidentified victims in the marshy death scene, but also about the aloof and beautiful photographer who seems to know more about his investigation than he does.

As they begin to unravel the motivation of a merciless serial killer, Miranda and Joel must race against the clock to make an arrest before the killer can find them first.

Flight is the second book in The Texas Murder Files series.  It is loosely connected to the first book, so it really could be read as a stand alone.  This one takes place in Lost Beach.  Miranda has moved there for a few months to recoup from a taxing career as a forensic photographer.  When she stumbles upon a dead couple in a canoe, she gets pulled back in to her career.

I liked this a bit more than the first book.  I liked the romance part of it a lot more.  I felt like the couple made sense and their romance really added to the story. I really liked Joel and his fellow detectives. I felt like their comradery really felt genuine.  I know I will look forward to their stories.  I also enjoyed the mystery as it kept me guessing.  Overall, this was is worth a shot.


No comments: