Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

Fiend by Peter Stenson

by:  Peter Stenson
published by:  Crown
publish date:  July 9, 2013

When Chase sees the little girl in umbrella-print socks disemboweling the Rottweiler, he's not too concerned. As someone who's been smoking meth every day for as long as he can remember, he's no stranger to such horrifying drug-fueled hallucinations. But as he and his fellow junkies soon discover, the little girl is no illusion. The end of the world really has arrived. And with Chase's life already destroyed beyond all hope of redemption, Armageddon might actually be an opportunity-a last chance to hit restart, win back the love of his life, and become the person he once dreamed of being.

I thought I was going to really like this book.  It was being described as Breaking Bad meets The Walking Dead.  Sounds like it would be pretty awesome right?  Turns out a zombie apocalypse told from the point of view of a meth addict really isn't my cup of tea.  This book has gotten a lot of really great reviews so I guess I'm in the minority here.

My issue wasn't really with the story.  The story was fairy interesting.  The zombie apocalypse hits and the only people who didn't turn are the meth addicts.  The main character Chase is dealing with the potential loss of his parents, his girlfriend, but more importantly his meth.  All that was ok.  I was getting really grossed out by the descriptions.  I don't want to hear things described as "smelling like an abortion" or "laying there like a used tampon".  I know zombies are gross and disgusting, but come on...seriously, that was going a bit overboard in my opinion.


So Fiend was just kinda eh for me.  I don't see myself recommending it to other people.  However, if you are interested in a twisted, junkie book, tomorrow we're posting about a book called Bait.  I liked it a lot better.




No comments: