Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Don't Look Now & Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier



Author: Daphne du Maurier
First published in 1973 by Victor Gallancz under the title, Not After Midnight.

A married couple on holiday in Venice are caught up in a sinister series of events. A lonely schoolmaster is impelled to investigate a mysterious American couple. A young woman loses her cool when she confronts her father's old friend on a lonely island. A party of British pilgrims meet strange phenomena and possible disaster in the Holy Land. A scientist abandons his scruples while trying to tap the energy of the dying mind. 

Collecting five stories of mystery and slow, creeping horror, Daphne du Maurier's Don't Look Now and Other Stories showcases her unique blend of sympathy and spine-tingling suspense.


This collection of short stories popped up on my library's OverDrive site last week and I thought it would be perfect for Throwback Thursday.  This collection of 5 short stories is marketed as creepy and "spine-tingling".  I'm not sure any of them really hit the mark.  You all know I didn't care for Rebecca, but I have seen  the 1973 movie "Don't Look Now" based on the story featured in this book. I thought the movie version followed the story-line very well.  It's really the only one in the book that I found remotely creepy.  But that could just be because I found the movie creepy.

The other 4 stories were  just OK.  I fast forwarded through at least 2 of them as they were kind of dull.  I would honestly only recommend this collection for "Don't Look Now" and maybe "Not After Midnight".  The other ones are pretty forgettable.

No comments: