Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

May Mini Musings


The Delphi Effect:  This one was just OK for me in the end. At times, I had a hard time following what was going on and had to re-listen to parts. I mean I got the gist of it, but the ending left me with so many questions. It was really dull during parts because there are places where nothing really happens. The main character, Anna, made a lot of really stupid decisions  There were also way too many pop culture references for my taste.  Those tend to take me out of the story because they don't feel authentic to the one I am reading.  The author must be a Harry Potter fan because those books are mentioned a ton in this book. I may peek at the next one, but I won't be eagerly awaiting it.

Gone for You:  This was a pretty predictable "rocker" romance. Nothing really I haven't read before.  I'm not sure I really buy into a player finally meeting the "one" who stops them from being a complete dog.  The romance was a bit quick for me.  I'm not sure I bought the love after a week but whatever.  It was a quick read, so there is that.

The Polygamist's Daughter:  It took me a really long time to get through this book.  I never want to criticize someone's memoir, because it was their own experience,  However, the book was kind of boring.  It kind of read like a laundry list of what happened to her.  I'm not discounting what she went through.  It is horrific to think about any child living a life like that.  I guess I was thinking it would be more of a true crime novel.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

Sounds like all three books brought out mixed feelings from you. There doesn't seem anything terribly wrong with either of them, but there's nothing that would warrant a read of them either. I particularly see many "memoirs" ending up being a checklist of events rather than a well formed story.