Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Review: Broken Ice by Matt Goldman

Author: Matt Goldman
Publisher: Forge Books
Date of publication: June 2018

Nils Shapiro has been hired to find missing Linnea Engstrom, a teenager from the small northern hockey town of Warroad, Minnesota. Most of Warroad is in Minneapolis for the state high school hockey tournament, and Linnea never returned from last night’s game. Linnea’s friend Haley Housch is also missing—and soon found dead.

After Nils is shot through the arm with an arrow at the Haley Housch crime scene, only the quick work of medical examiner Char Northagen saves Nil’s life. 

Nils should be in the hospital recovering from his near fatal injury, but he knows that the clock is ticking. Linnea could be anywhere, and someone doesn’t want her found. Is Linnea a victim, or is she playing a dangerous game? As bodies start piling up, the clues lead Nils north to Warroad, a small, quiet town with many secrets to hide.


Broken Ice is the second book featuring Nils Shapiro.  I enjoyed the first book so I was eager to check out the second book.  This one picks up about a year after the evens of the first book.  Nils is now working with his friend, Anders Ellegaard in a PI business.  They are hired to find two missing girls.  The search leads Nils to be shot by an arrow and he narrowly escapes death.

That's all I will say about the book.  It kept me guessing and I did not figure it out until the reveal.  I actually think that I liked this one better than the first book.  I felt like I got to know Nils a bit more.  His intuition is usually spot on and seeing him work through a case was fun to watch.  I liked the contrast between Nils and his partner, Ellegaard.  Both of them want to get to the truth, but Nils is the one willing to break the rules to get there.  Ellegaard is more of a "by the book" kind of guy.     There were a few other characters introduced that I also enjoyed.  It would be a shame not to have them show up in later books.   This is a great addition to the series and I hope the next Nils Shapiro book comes out soon.

No comments: