Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Review: The Clinic by David Jester

Author: David Jester
Publisher: Skyhorse publishing
Date of publication: February 2018

They each had their own demons to face, and none of them had much to live for. Malcolm was alone in the world, Darren might as well have been, and Eddie . . . well, Eddie wished he was. Crime wasn't a way out for them; it was just a way to survive.

But the clinic was a job too far, a risk that didn't justify the reward.

The isolated rehab clinic should have been an easy target. But this simple job would turn into a nightmare that none of the young men could have foreseen, unleashing an evil that was sown way before their time.


The Clinic has been on my TBR for a while now.  I think I started this one about 3 times before I finally got into it enough to want to keep going.  The begging is a bit slow.  The book follows three teens who have been robbing houses in the evenings and want to try for something bigger to get better loot.  Eddie's uncle tells them about a clinic that hosts rich rehab patients.  They think this will be their lucky break.

For me, this was just kind of meh.  Part of my disappointment in the book was I thought I was getting a paranormal horror.  But, I didn't find it here.  It's definitely horror. It's also really gory.  If you aren't into a lot of blood and guts, then this is not the book for you.  That doesn't bother me too much, but at about 75%, it got to be a bit much.  I stuck it out until the end but, honestly, I kind of wish I had just DNF'd it.  There were two twists that really came out of nowhere and were pretty laughable.  None of the characters were vary likable.  I know each boy had their issues, but that didn't excuse their behaviors.  I also felt like the book was a bit all over the place and probably could have used a bit more editing.

I'm not sure I would really recommend this one.  I've read better gory horror.  It is a quick read, so it has that going for it.



No comments: