Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2019

February Mini Musings


The Guardian:  I've had this one in my TBR for a while now.  I haven't read a Highlander romance in a long time, so this was a nice change of pace.  I ended up really enjoying the plot and the characters. The story was filled with a lot of humor and was just a really fun read. Ian and Sileas were great together.  I also enjoyed the relationship between Ian and his friends.  I look forward to reading their stories.

The Lonely Dead:  This was a typical teen "supernatural" mystery.  There were no real surprises and the ending was very anti-climactic.  I figured out the killer very early on.  The characters were kind of forgettable, including the main character. She didn't make any good decisions.  Can authors please stop having characters speak to the police without a lawyer?  Especially if they are a minor?  It's unrealistic.  It's not badly written, I've just read better.

The Lights:  I found this quick audiobook in SCRIBD. The only thing it had going for it was the 2 hour listening time.  This book was horrible.  The bare bones of a good horror story were there, but the execution was just not done well at all.  The dialogue was awkward.  The teens were forgettable.  The three main characters never seemed too upset about what was going on around them.  For example, they watch one of the children murder a man in the town square. Then they go back to one of their houses and make tea.  Huh?  I could go on.  Don't waste your time, it's 2 hours I can't get back.

Dare You to Lie:  This was a random audiobook from my library.  It's the first in a new series featuring Kylene, who moves back to her hometown after her FBI father was arrested for murder.  While Kylene sets out to find out what happened to her father, she ends up solving a different mystery, which leaves room for a squeal.  I really enjoyed the story.  Kylene was a great snarky character.  I loved her friends and their relationships.  I'll definitely read the next one when it comes out.




No comments: