Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Review: The Lost Man by Jane Harper

Author: Jane Harper
Publisher:Flatiron books
Date of publication: February 2019

They are at the stockman’s grave, a landmark so old, no one can remember who is buried there. But today, the scant shadow it casts was the last hope for their middle brother, Cameron. The Bright family’s quiet existence is thrown into grief and anguish. Something had been troubling Cameron. Did he lose hope and walk to his death? Because if he didn’t, the isolation of the outback leaves few suspects…

The Lost Man is another book that was on my most anticipated reading list for 2019.  This is not a part of the Aaron Falk series. The book opens as Nathan and his brother Bub are standing over their dead brother Cameron.  Neither brother understands why Cameron would be out in the outback desert  in the intense heat without water.  It looks like a suicide.  The story is told through Nathan's perspective as he tries to navigate the mystery of what happened to Cameron.   

I'll be honest, I had my reservations about the book when I first started it. The story was a little slow in the beginning.  But as we learn more and more about the family and their secrets, the book does pick up.  It's a slow burn family drama with a mystery.  I definitely didn't figure it out in the end.  In fact, I was totally floored by the solution.  I ended up loving the book.

I enjoyed the characters as well as the family dynamic.  Like most families, there are a lot of secrets and regrets buried.  I also enjoyed the setting.  I've never been to the Australian Outback, but the author did a wonderful job of conveying the intense heat and starkness of the landscape to the reader.  

Jane Harper is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine.  If you haven't tried one of her books yet, I highly recommend any of them.  I hope that she isn't done with Aaron Falk.  I would love to read another book featuring him.  


No comments: