Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Review: The Birthday Girl by Sue Fortin

Author: Sue Fortin
Publisher: HarperImpulse
Date of publication: November 2017

Dear Carys, Zoe and Andrea
Come and join me for my fortieth birthday adventure weekend, full of mysteries and surprises the like of which you can’t imagine.


When Joanne’s friends reluctantly accept an invitation to her birthday party, it quickly becomes clear that there is more to this weekend than they are expecting.
One of them is hiding a secret.
And Joanne is planning to reveal it…

A weekend away in a cottage in the woods sounds like fun – until no one can hear your cries for help.
Four friends.
A party to die for. 

Who will survive?


In The Birthday Girl, four friends go on a weekend getaway in a remote cabin.  Before the weekend is over, someone dies and the others are suspects.  Each of the remaining three have motive.  All four women had secrets. 

I usually enjoy mysteries where a group of people go out in a remote location and someone dies. I was hoping that this one would be enjoyable.  Unfortunately, it really wasn't.  None of the characters were likable. I couldn't even understand why they are all friends because they aren't nice to each other. Most of the book is told through Carys's prospective.  I found her annoying and kind of dumb.  She kept making stupid decisions and refused to see situational clues that were staring her in the face.  It got frustrating.  The reveal in the end was little surprising, but not exciting enough to save the book for me.  I think I have to finally admit defeat when it comes to this author.  This is the third book I have tried and ended up not liking.  I don't really recommend this one.



No comments: