Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

2 in 1: Afraid and Endurance by Jack Kilborn


Author: Jack Kilbon
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Date of publication: April 2009

Welcome to Safe Haven, Wisconsin. Miles from everything, with one road in and out, this peaceful town has never needed a full-time police force. Until now . . . 

A helicopter has crashed near Safe Haven and unleashed something horrifying. Now this merciless force is about to do what it does best. Isolate. Terrorize. Annihilate. As residents begin dying in a storm of gory violence, Safe Haven's only chance for survival will rest with an aging county sheriff, a firefighter, and a single mom. And each will have this harrowing thought: Maybe death hasn't come to their town by accident . . .


Afraid is the first book in the "Afraid' series.  Out of the three I have read so far, this one was the mildest one in terms of violence.  Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty violent, but the gore factor is not as high as Trapped or Endurance.  I did like this one.  I was kept guessing and was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong in the end.  I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't ruin the plot.  I liked most of the characters and loved that I had a couple that I was rooting for to make it out alive.  I definitely recommend this one.

Author: Jack Kilborn
Publisher: Self
Date of publication: June 2010

The bed and breakfast was hidden in the hills of West Virginia. Wary guests wondered how it could stay in business at such a creepy, remote location. Especially with its bizarre, presidential decor and eccentric proprietor.

ONCE YOU CHECK IN...

When the event hotel for the national Iron Woman triathlon accidentally overbooked, competitor Maria was forced to stay at the Rushmore. But after checking into her room, she quickly realized she wasn't alone. First her suitcase wasn't where she put it. Then her cell phone was moved. Finally, she heard an odd creaking under the bed. Confusion quickly turned to fear, and fear to hysteria when she discovered the front door was barred and the windows were bricked over. There was no way out.

...YOU'LL BE DYING TO LEAVE

One year later, four new female athletes have become guests of the Inn. Will they escape the horrors within its walls? Or will they join the many others who have died there, in ways too terrible to imagine?

Endurance is the third book in this series and the one I have liked the least.  Have you ever seen the X-Files episode "Home"?  Were you completely grossed out by it?  If your answer is yes, then you should avoid this book.  I thought Trapped was at peak grossness level, but no, Endurance topped that one.  I'm not squeamish, but this one made me a bit nauseous as I read it.  I can't really say that I enjoyed it.  For me, it was a little over the top.  Maybe don't read this one on your lunch break.

The nice thing I can say about this series is they can all be read as stand alone books.  I read them out of order and found it really didn't matter.  I am looking forward to reading the fourth and latest book, Haunted House very soon,


No comments: