Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Gideon's Sword

Authors: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Publisher: Hachette Book Group (Grand Central Publishing imprint) February 2011

Gideon Crew has a lot on his mind. His mother has died, but only after revealing on her deathbed the true story of his father's murder. Reeling and thirsting for revenge, this talented operative must confront an even more pressing matter: He was been enlisted to steal plans for a Chinese mega-weapon from a defecting scientist.


Gideon's Sword is the first in a new series by the writing team of Preston and Child. I have long been a fan of these guys. Relic is my favorite book by them.

I enjoyed this book a lot. The beginning is a bit slow as he enacts revenge on those who killed his father, but it soon takes off running and doesn't stop. Gideon Crew is a master at lying and changing his appearance. His character is very likeable because while he is good looking, he has his flaws and is pretty green in the espionage arena. It was fun to see how he navigated his first case which is filled with many twists and turns. One of which I definitely didn't see coming. This is definitely pure thriller, no romance in this one.

I think fans will like this latest by Preston and Child. The book's ending gives a hint as to the the next adventure in Gideon's life. I can't wait to see what the team has next in store for Gideon!

--Kari

I also read a good majority of this book.  Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are easily my favorite writing team.  Whenever something new comes out by them  I AM ON IT!  I was really excited to get a chance to read this book.  I was a little bit disappointed with this.  It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't Aloysius Pendergast.  I guess that's what I was hoping for, something sort of like that, but different, and it just wasn't.  If you're a fan of Vince Flynn or Clive Cussler or Brad Meltzer, you'd probably like this. 

--Autumn

* note: I read an complimentary copy of Gideon's Sword supplied courtesy of Hachette Book Group . I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

1 comment:

Jon said...

I really didn't feel it was up to Preston & Child's usual standards. I'll probably read the sequel when it comes to my local library, tho.