Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Think of a Number

by: John Vernon
published by: Crown Publishers


Arriving in the mail one day is a taunting letter that ends with a simple declaration "See how well I know your secrets-just think of a number." Eerily, those who comply find that the letter writer has predicted their random choice exactly. For Dave Gurney, just retired as the NYPD's top homicide investigator and forging a new life with his wife, Madeleine, in upstate New York, the letters are oddities that begin as a diverting puzzle but quickly ignite a massive serial-murder investigation. Brought in as an investigative "consultant," Gurney soon accomplishes deductive breakthroughs that have local police in awe. Yet, with each taunting move by his seemingly clairvoyant opponent, Gurney feels his tragedy-marred past rising up to haunt him, his marriage approaching a dangerous precipice, and, finally, a dark, cold fear building that he's met an adversary who can't be stopped.


I've had this one on my TBR List since it came out. It sounded like a great story. The audiobook came up for download from my library so I was pretty excited to listen to it. I wasn't disappointed. It was pretty good. I'd definitely recommend the audio version of the book, the reader did a great job.

The story was interesting. I found that if you were paying attention you could figure out what was going on. I don't know if I had a better memory than Dave or the writer wanted to let the readers feel smart or what, but there were times when I was fussing at my car because Dave should have known what was going to happen!

The one downside to the book was Madeleine, Dave's wife. I really didn't like her. I got very frustrated with her almost every single scene she was in. I couldn't understand why they were married to each other because it didn't seem like they even liked each other very much. For the first half of the book it wouldn't have surprised me if she was the killer.

Think of a Number was the first book in the Dave Gurney series. The next book called Shut Your Eyes Tight will be published later this year. I'm looking forward to reading that book to see where this series goes...and if Madeleine stays in the picture...

No comments: