Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Throwback Thursday: Salem Witches Week Edition

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Author: Elizabeth George Speare
First published in 1958

Orphaned Kit Tyler knows, as she gazes for the first time at the cold, bleak shores of Connecticut Colony, that her new home will never be like the shimmering Caribbean island she left behind. In her relatives' stern Puritan community, she feels like a tropical bird that has flown to the wrong part of the world, a bird that is now caged and lonely. The only place where Kit feels completely free is in the meadows, where she enjoys the company of the old Quaker woman known as the Witch of Blackbird Pond, and on occasion, her young sailor friend Nat. But when Kit's friendship with the "witch" is discovered, Kit is faced with suspicion, fear, and anger. She herself is accused of witchcraft!



In honor of our Salem Witches Week, I chose The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare for the Throwback Thursday selection. This wonderful book was first published in 1958. I remember reading it as a pre-teen. I know at the time I had no idea how old the book was and had I realized it I might have skipped it. I'm so glad I didn't. It has been a long favorite book of mine. When I was planning on reading it for this week's review, I was curious as to how I would like it now that I am well past my pre-teen years. Well, I still love this book!

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is so well written. It not only is an entertaining story about a girl who finds a home, it is a good history lesson. The reader is immersed on Puritan culture of New England before the revolutionary war. I loved all of the characters in this book. Kit is a free-spirited girl who has been raised with very different views from those of her family in Connecticut. I enjoyed seeing the changes that Kit brings about in all of those she encounters, especially her uncle. The ending is just perfect. This story is one of growth, change and learning to be true to yourself.

If you haven't had the chance yet, give it a shot. If you loved it like I do, share it with a young reader who hasn't discovered this wonderful story yet. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to enjoy it!

--Kari

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't realize it was published back in 1958, either, but it's one of my favorite Salem Witch Trials historical fiction books.

Sarah Allen said...

I loved this book! Great story, with very intriguing characters. Great throwback :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)