Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Prey by Linda Howard

Author: Linda Howard
Published:  Random House Audio Publishing Group (September 6th 2011)

Thirty-two-year-old Angie Powell has always spoken her mind, but in the presence of Dare Callahan she nurses a simmering rage. After all, why give Dare the satisfaction of knowing he can push her buttons and push her to the edge?

Three years ago, Dare returned home to rural western Montana and opened a hunting business to rival Angie’s. Complicating matters is the fact that Dare has asked Angie out (not once but twice) and has given her a gift of butterflies in the process. Angie has no patience for butterflies. They only lead to foolish decisions. And now the infuriatingly handsome Iraq war vet has siphoned away Angie’s livelihood, forcing her to close up shop. 

Before Angie is to leave town, she organizes one last trip into the wilderness with a client and his guest, who wants to bag a black bear. But the adrenaline-fueled adventure turns deadly when Angie witnesses a cold-blooded murder and finds herself on the wrong side of a loaded gun. Before the killer can tie up this attractive loose end, a bear comes crashing through the woods—changing the dark game completely.

Luckily, Dare is camping nearby and hears the shots. Forced together for their very survival, Angie and Dare must confront hard feelings, a blinding storm, and a growing attraction—while being stalked by a desperate killer and a ferocious five-hundred-pound beast. And neither will stop until they reach their prey.

Prey is the latest from Linda Howard.  Being one of my favorite authors, I couldn't wait to listen to this one.  While I liked it, I didn't love it. As far as the romance goes,  Angie and Dare are great characters and I loved their relationship.  I enjoyed watching Angie realize that she does love Dare.  For once it is the woman who is unsure and not the man.  The banter between the two was enjoyable.  One thing that was missing for me was more back story on Dare.  The reader doesn't really get to know a whole lot about him. The other thing that was missing was a really great love scene that I know she is capable of writing.  The only one in this book was missing a lot of steam.

As for the rest of the story, you know who the killer is right away.  I found the scenes from the killer's point of view to be annoying and not really necessary.  I didn't really care who he killed and why.   I also didn't care for the scenes from the bear's perspective.  I thought that was pushing it a little.  The suspense could have been better had the bear remained an unknown entity until the end. There were some fast paced action scenes that I enjoyed, but beyond that it fell flat for me.

--Kari

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kari,
This looks like a good story and the cover is captivating.
Mike

PS Please stop over at my blog and check my giveaway.
"Killer Move' where a man gets a note 'modified' and his life begins to change.
http://mikedraperinguilford.blogspot.com

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I love Linda Howard and this sounds interesting. Great review!