Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman

by:  Becky Masterman
published by:  Minotaur Books
publish date:  March 12, 2013

Brigid Quinn's experiences in hunting sexual predators for the FBI have left her with memories she wishes she didn’t have and lethal skills she hopes never to need again. Having been pushed into early retirement by events she thinks she's put firmly behind her, Brigid keeps telling herself she is settling down nicely in Tucson with a wonderful new husband, Carlo, and their dogs.

This is one of those dark and dirty kind of mysteries.  Definitely not for the faint of heart or those that like their mysteries of the cozy variety.  I liked it though.   I listened to the audiobook.  I know! Autumn and her audiobooks!  But I'm back in school and audiobooks give me the most efficient use of my time.  The narrator for this book was a brilliant pick.  I think she nailed attitude and her voice was perfect for a older woman.

In the book, Brigid is in retirement, but she gets drawn back in to an unsolved case.  This particular case involved a sting operation with her partner, but it went wrong and her partner became the victim of a serial killer.  At the same time Brigid is getting pulled back into her old FBI life, she is also brutally attacked.  There are a lot of repercussions from this horrible attack that plague Brigid throughout the book.

Again, I really liked this book.  I also really liked the characters in this book.  Brigid made me crazy though!  Her actions and her decision making process made me so frustrated.  I would be driving down the road fussing at the audiobook because of some dumb decision she made.  It made the book more interesting for sure.  If there are more Brigid Quinn books in the future, that'd be great!




No comments: