Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

The Final Seven by Erica Spndler

Author: Erica Spindler
Publisher: Sphere
Date of publication: February 2016

The first Saturday in July. . .
A missing coed . . .
The number seven carved into her door . . .
The countdown has begun.

THE FINAL SEVEN

New Orleans Detective Micki Dee Dare is a seasoned, no-nonsense cop. She doesn't need a partner, especially not Zach “Hollywood” Harris, an irreverent charmer, fresh out of an experimental FBI program. And her assignment — keep him alive while he fights crime using the special skills he brings to the table — is not what she signed up for. But the die has been cast and there's nothing she can do about it.


The Final Seven was a random audio pick from my library.  I had really liked The First Wife, so I was hoping to like this one just as much. The Final Seven is completely different from the The First Wife.  It's the first in a new supernatural mystery series. For the most part, I did enjoy the book.  Micki is a detective  who is assigned a new partner.  Zach is an undercover FBI agent, well kind of, who is assigned to be Micki's partner.  It seems that the government has acknowledged there is a 6th sense and the FBI has been using "sixers" for a while.  Now it's time to infiltrate the local police departments with them.  Micki's job is to keep Zach safe and keep things quiet.

I was completely on board with the plot of this  book.  I really like the premise and characters.  Micki is pretty tough as nails and reminded me a lot of Eve Dallas from the "In Death" series.  I also thought Zach was funny and refreshing.  I liked how he always kept coming out smelling like a rose in any situation. 

The mystery of the missing coeds was going really well...until the last 20% of the book.  I'm not sure I still understand what the Lightkeepers are and what the Dark was trying to do.  The last scene for me was confusing and I'm still not sure what happened.  I did like it enough to go onto the next book, but I am really hoping the author builds the world a little better than she did in this book.


No comments: