Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

When You Dare


Author: Lori Foster
Publisher: HQN Books on April 26, 2011

Professional mercenary Dare Macintosh lives by one hard and fast rule: business should never be personal. If a cause appeals to him and the price is right, he'll take the mission he's offered. But then the lovely Molly Alexander asks him to help her track down the men who'd had her kidnapped—and for the first time, Dare's tempted to combine work with pleasure.

Fiercely independent, Molly vows to trust no one until she's uncovered the truth. Could the enemy be her powerful, estranged father? The ex-fiancĂ© who still holds a grudge? Or the not-so-shy fan of her bestselling novels? As the danger heats up around them, the only anchor Molly has is Dare himself. But what she feels for him just might be the most frightening thing of all…


When You Dare it the first book in a new series by Lori Foster. There is a prequel to this book that can be found in The Guy Next Door, which I reviewed here. Dare McIntosh is rescuing his best friend’s sister from the people who kidnapped her when he stumbles on another woman who needs to be rescued. Molly has been kidnapped, taken to Mexico and kept captive for 9 days. She ends up hiring Dare to find the person behind he kidnapping. I really enjoyed this book. Lori Foster knows how to write her alpha males! One of the things that I enjoyed about the relationship between Molly and Dare is that he fell for Molly when she was at her worst. This was rather refreshing to read. I loved Dare’s character. Even though he was definitely a tough alpha, he had a tender side that came out when talking about his assistant, Chris and his “girls”. Molly is a pretty solid character who is used to taking care of herself. Her politeness toward Dare in the beginning was amusing. The love scenes are well written and I loved their HEA.

I enjoyed the secondary characters, especially Chris. I would have liked to read more about the relationship between Chris and Dare. I’m hoping that subject gets some attention later in the series, since the same characters are likely to show up. Their deep bond is apparent, but the background is not given. I did guess the person behind the kidnapping pretty early on, but I don’t think it took away from the story at all. The reason behind it was a surprise.

I definitely recommend this book. I look forward to the next one, Trace of Fever.

--Kari

* note: I read an advanced review copy of When You Dare supplied courtesy of the HQN Books. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

No comments: