Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Throwback Thursday: The Last Chance Cafe by Linda Lael Miller


Author: Linda Lael Miller
First published in 2002 by Atria books

When a blinding Nevada snowstorm and a broken-down truck force Hallie O'Rourke and her two young daughters into the warmth of the Last Chance Cafe, Hallie could not know she would find a new beginning at the roadside diner. Or that the handsome stranger she meets there would change everything she believes about home and family. Chance Qualtrough is a rancher with deep roots in Primrose Creek, and he's never met a woman as alluring -- or downright stubborn -- as Hallie. An undeniable passion is pulling them together, but Hallie is fleeing a danger so threatening she dares not let Chance into her heart. Will all that Hallie fears come back with full force, destroying her last chance for the life she's always dreamed of?

As I was listening to the audio-book for The Last Chance Cafe, I kept feeling like I was missing something.  Story threads seemed to die off and go nowhere.  Once the last disc was done, I realized that I had picked up the abridged version of the book.  For the record, nowhere on the case did it say "abridged".  Usually I am a lot more careful when it comes to audio-books. I detest abridged versions because I don't think they ever do a good job of breaking down the story.  I suggest that if you want to listen to the audio-book, make sure you get the full version. I'm sure it will make more sense.

Keeping that in mind, I did enjoy the romance part of the story.  I think I got enough of the gist of the book to like it.  I liked Chance and Hallie.  Their love scenes were pretty steamy.  I also loved their HEA.    I can't say much about the suspense part of the book.  It fell flat for me, but then I don't think I got enough of it to really like it. Maybe one day I'll try it again, only I'll read the entire book!

No comments: