Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Guy in Real Life by Steve Brezenoff

by:  Steve Brezenoff
published by:  Balzer + Bray
publish date:  May 27, 2014

It is Labor Day weekend in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and boy and girl collide on a dark street at two thirty in the morning: Lesh, who wears black, listens to metal, and plays MMOs; Svetlana, who embroiders her skirts, listens to Björk and Berlioz, and dungeon masters her own RPG. They should pick themselves up, continue on their way, and never talk to each other again.

But they don't.


Guy in Real Life was a quickie little audiobook I happened to pick up from the library.  I ended up really liking it for the most part.

Svetlana is an older girl who shouldn't be interested in the younger Lesh that knocked her off her bike and destroyed her gaming notebook.  For some reason, they are drawn to each other and quirky high school romance ensues.  I thought, the story was pretty cute and fairly believable in the realm high school reality.  The one part of this book I didn't care for was the long gaming passages.  I'm not a gamer, so I don't get it.   If I was reading the regular book I would have flipped right past those parts.

I would definitely recommend this book.  I'm not a big romance reader, but I thought this was a fun teen love story.  

No comments: