Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Lover at Last by JR Ward

Author: J. R. Ward
Publisher: NAL 
Date of publication: March 2013

Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.
 


I'm finally getting a chance to catch up on this series.  As much as I love the Black Dagger Brotherhood, the size of this book and number of audio discs kept me from reading it for a while.  I'm sad to say, this is the first one that I have been pretty disappointed in.   Lover at Last just wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.  I have been waiting for Qhuinn and Blay's story for a long time.  It was the only thing that I really liked about the book. While it seemed to take forever for them to get there, their HEA was wonderful.

What I didn't like was all of the other stuff.  Their were too many characters and side stories to keep track of.  I know that the author is setting up for future books since all of the brothers are paired up now, but it was just too much and seemed a bit all over the place at times.  I wish that the book would really have focused more on Blay and Qhuinn.   I do have The King loaded up on my MP3 player.  I jut hope it is a bit more focused than this one.



No comments: