Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2015

99 Days by Katie Cotugno

by:  Katie Cotugno
published by:  Balzer + Bray
publish date:  April 21, 2015

Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

This is the second book by Katie Cotugno that I've read.  I've liked both.  It took me awhile to get through 99 Days though.  I started it and got bored with it and put it away.  It was almost a DNF, but I got the audiobook and got all the way through and ended up enjoying it.

Molly and Patrick have been dating forever.  When she gets an offer to run track for a private school, Patrick gets possessive and jealous, and they break up.  During that short break up, she sleeps with his brother Gabe, but she and Patrick get back together and she never tells him what happens when they were broken up.  However, she did tell her mother, who is a famous author and uses the story in her next novel.  Now, everybody knows and Molly is the town slut.  She just needs to last through the 99 days of summer until she can leave town.

This book was very good about exploring the double standards for boys and girls.  It took until the end that Molly started understanding that, but she did eventually get there that the sister Julia shouldn't have been mad at just Molly but both of her brothers shared the blame as well too.  It had a good message about girls sticking by each other as well, one that more girls should hear.  For those two reasons, I would recommend this book to the YA readers.

No comments: