Pages

Friday, August 5, 2016

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

by:  Danielle Paige
published by:  Harper Collins
publish date:  April 1, 2014

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.


I've read twists here and there on the Oz story.  Of course, I've seen the movies and read the book.  I thought this was a really fun twist on the story.  

Amy Gumm is basically trailer trash.  She lives in a trailer park and gets in fights with pregnant classmates.  Until she is stuck in a tornado and carried away to Oz.  This isn't the Oz of the movie or book, this Oz is destroyed and depressing.  Dorothy got power hungry and took over all the land.  The Wicked Witches are working to defeat her and take back their country.  Amy gets recruited by the Wicked Witches to assassinate Dorothy.

This is the first book in a series.  I think there are 3 books after this one, and then there are quite a few prequels that explain Dorothy's rise to power.  I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the rest of the series.


1 comment:

Ethan said...

I love when an author can take a well known story and make it their own. Have you also read the Wicked books?