Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Last Kind Words by Tom Piccirilli

by:  Tom Piccirilli
published by:  Bantam
publish date:  June 12, 2012

Raised in a clan of small-time thieves and grifters, Terrier Rand decided to cut free from them and go straight after his older brother, Collie, went on a killing spree that left an entire family and several others dead. Five years later, only days before his scheduled execution, Collie contacts Terry and asks him to return home. He claims he wasn’t responsible for one of the murders—and insists that the real killer is still on the loose.

This was one of those books that I got from the library.  When it came time to read it, I was like "why did I pick this??"  So, I kinda put it off, but I eventually got around to it.  I don't know what the problem was, because I ended up really liking this book and hopefully I can get to the second book in the series some time soon.

Terrier is fed up with his family.  They're all thieves and grifters.  When his brother Collie goes on a killing spree, he leaves his family behind and starts and new life.  Collie calls him to death row to make a confession that he didn't kill one of the victims he was accused of killing.  Terrier doesn't believe him but begins his own investigation.  Terry gets drawn back into the dealings of his family.  His sister is involved with a lowlife, his uncles are in trouble with the mob. He has to clear his brother's name, find a killer and get his family straight.

One of the things I liked about this book was the names.  Everyone in Terry's family was named after a breed of dog.  I thought it was a clever little aspect of book.  This was a really good mystery and I would for sure recommend this one.

No comments: