Pages

Monday, September 12, 2016

Curious Minds by Janet Evanovich & Phoef Sutton

Authors: Janet Evanovich & Phoef Sutton
Publisher: Bantam Dell (Random House)
Date of publication: August 2016

Emerson Knight is introverted, eccentric, and has little to no sense of social etiquette. Good thing he’s also brilliant, rich, and (some people might say) handsome, or he’d probably be homeless. Riley Moon has just graduated from Harvard Business and Harvard Law. Her aggressive Texas spitfire attitude has helped her land her dream job as a junior analyst with mega-bank Blane-Grunwald. At least Riley Moon thought it was her dream job, until she is given her first assignment: babysitting Emerson Knight.

What starts off as an inquiry about missing bank funds in the Knight account leads to inquiries about a missing man, missing gold, and a life-and-death race across the country. Through the streets of Washington, D.C., and down into the underground vault of the Federal Reserve in New York City, an evil plan is exposed. A plan so sinister that only a megalomaniac could think it up, and only the unlikely duo of the irrepressibly charming Emerson Knight and the tenacious Riley Moon can stop it.


I'll be honest, I didn't care for this book.  It was a hot mess.  I am usually hot and cold when it comes to Ms. Evanovich's books.  I loved her Stephanie Plum series up until about the 10th book. Her early works were hilarious and I gobbled them up.  I have also been a fan of the Lizzy and Diesl series because the characters have great chemistry.  I was really hoping for a funny fresh start to a new series. For me this entire book fell very flat.  I became quickly bored and skimmed through parts of the book.

I'm not sure how much of the book was written by either author.  I do know that Ms. Evanovich is capable of more humor than was found in this book. Both characters were dull.  Riley annoyed me.  She is supposed to have two advanced degrees, but she came across as ditsy. Emerson was just weird.  The basic story is that Riley Moon, new to the banking world, has been tasked with helping rich, eccentric Emerson Knight find a lost banker and his gold.  There really is no mystery and there is no humor.  There is a LOT of quirkiness.  That is the biggest problem...everything is quirky.  Because of that, the quirky was no longer funny.  

I can't really recommend this one and know I won't continue with the series. 

1 comment:

Ethan said...

Bummer. It seems like Evanovich may be stretching herself a bit thin these days and the books are suffering.