Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Golden Threads by Kay Hooper



Author: Kay Hooper
First published in 1989 by Loveswept. Re-issue on November 29, 2016

Imprisoned by fate -- and the FBI -- in a strange town with a new identity, Lara Mason longed to escape the painful memory of her father's murder. Playing Rapunzel in a local production would distract her, she hoped -- until broodingly sensual Devon Shane was chose as her prince in the play...and cast himself as her bodyguard when shadows from her past threatened her. Captured by his sapphire gaze and a voice that compelled her surrender, Lara had trusted no one with her secret, but Devon drove her wild with sensation, demanded and took what belonged to him. Furious at being a pawn in his dangerous game, Lara told Devon she wouldn't run anymore -- but could he keep her safe? Desperate to end the limbo that denied them a future, Lara was willing to gamble with her life ... but not his love. Devon had scaled her tower and won her, but now he had to set her free. Could she show him that taming his savage heart was the only happy ending she wanted?

I originally read this back in 2008 when I was on a Kay Hooper binge read.  I think I managed to track down every early work by her and devoured them in a span of a month.  Loveswept is re-issuing this one as well as other early releases in November, so I thought it might be fun to go back and re-read some.  


Golden Threads is the first in her "Once Upon a Time" series.  Each book has a mysterious match maker who manages to get the right boy with the right girl.  There is usually a bit of trouble along the way.  Re-reading Golden Threads reminded me of why I like older romances. They are sometimes a bit cheesy, but usually they are just plain fun.

The romance in this one is really fast.  I'm talking a week.  But I didn't mind.  There is also a mystery as well. Lara is in witness protection, but someone may have found her.  Devon seems to be someone she can trust, but who should she listen to, her head or her heart?  I say trust the cat, Ching. I do recommend this early one. Keep an eye out for it in November!

No comments: