Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Throwback Thursday: The Tower Treasure by Franklin W. Dixon


Author: Franklin W. Dixon
First published in 1927 by Grosset and Dunlap

A dying criminal confesses that his loot has been secreted "in the tower." Both towers of the looted mansion are searched in vain. It remains for the Hardy boys to make an astonishing discovery that clears up the mystery.

I read a lot of these books when I was in middle school.  It was fun to try one out again.  This is the first in the series and was first published in 1927.  It was later updated and revised in 1942 with a little change to the plot.  The book introduces the Hardy brothers, Frank and Joe.  The end up solving their first big case involving missing jewels and a death bed confession. 

I found the brothers less "Mary sue Sunshine" than I did Nancy Drew.  The boys definitely care about their friends and family. But they seemed more real to me. I will admit that I kept picturing Sean Cassidy and Parker Stevenson while I was listening.  I was a fan of the TV show growing up and I couldn't help myself. 

The audiobook version I listened to had sound effects and music sprinkled through out.  It took a little getting used to, but ended up feeling like I  was listening to one of those old radio mystery shows.   This is a wonderful series that has aged well.  

No comments: