Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Throwback Thursday: The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen


Author: Hans Christian Andersen
First published in 1844 in  New Fairy Tales. First Volume. Second Collection.

This classic tale is a fantastical fable of two dear friends - one of whom goes astray and is literally lost to the north woods, while the other undertakes an epic journey to rescue him. This charming, strange, and wonderful story is a timeless allegory about growing up and the challenges of staying true to one's self, and it served as the wintry inspiration for the blockbuster hit Frozen.

I will admit it, Frozen has been on my top 5 favorite Disney movies of all time since the minute I finished watching it the first time.  I hadn't seen a Disney movie that good since the Little Mermaid.  Anyway, when The Snow Queen popped up on my library's overdrive site, I had to listen to it.

I really didn't care for this very short story.  First, I'm not even sure what happened in the story.  It was pretty weird and trippy.  I also could really see nothing in common with Frozen.  If this story inspired the movie, they REALLY had to stretch their imagination to make much of a connection. I know this is a really old story and is supposed to be teaching some sort of lesson. I just didn't care for it. The only positive thing I can say about this story is that it was short.  I'll re-watch Frozen instead.


No comments: