Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2020

May Mini Musings


Escape Room:  This one comes out in July, 2020.   I found it an OK YA horror. It had great potential, but fell flat on the execution.  It was fairly predictable and I guessed the ending.  The characters were kind of one dimensional and I didn't feel like I got to know them that well.  It was originally published in Dutch, so I'm there was something lost in translation or not.  It's a quick read that could be read in an afternoon.

The God Game:  I wish I could have loved this book, but it ended up just being OK.  I was expecting a cool computer virtual reality game that becomes all consuming and dangerous to its players.  And while I got that, I also ended up with a lesson in morality and some vague religious and mythical references that went over my head. Oh and Trump bashing. Just what any YA reader wants, right?  With forgettable characters and an overall boring plot,  I'm not sure I would recommend this one

Best Behavior: I wish I liked this one more than I did.   I could sympathize with Meredith for her situation. Empty nest syndrome is closer for me than I want to admit. Despite that  I found her a little depressing. In fact, I think the only character I really liked was Joel.  I found the book a bit repetitive and found my self skimming in places.  I think it just wasn't for me..

Dark Ride:  This was an enjoyable horror story.  I thought it had the the right amount of gore and suspense.  The characters were fun  and I liked that no one was safe.  The only thing I didn't love was the epilogue.  I thought it was a bit cheesy.  Definitely check this one out.

Accidental Girlfriend: I thought this was a really cute and funny rom-com.  I found myself laughing out loud so many times.  I loved Mason and Lauren together.  They had really fun banter.  I think they would be a fun couple to hang out with.  I highly recommend this one.

The Earl Next Door:  This was another fun and cute romance.  I thought the interaction between the girls at the school and the Earl were hilarious.  Adeline and her friends were hilarious.  I loved the school that they put together for the poor young girls to be able to earn a living in the future.  Adeline and Lyon were so good together.  I can't wait to read the next book.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

Out of the lot, I think I'd really enjoy Dark Ride. I did just enjoy a Romance novel, so maybe a return to the genre is in order?