Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Review: Crave by Tracy Wolff

Author: Tracy Wolff
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: April 2020

My whole world changed when I stepped inside the academy. Nothing is right about this place or the other students in it. Here I am, a mere mortal among gods…or monsters. I still can’t decide which of these warring factions I belong to, if I belong at all. I only know the one thing that unites them is their hatred of me.

Then there’s Jaxon Vega. A vampire with deadly secrets who hasn’t felt anything for a hundred years. But there’s something about him that calls to me, something broken in him that somehow fits with what’s broken in me.

Which could spell death for us all.

Because Jaxon walled himself off for a reason. And now someone wants to wake a sleeping monster, and I’m wondering if I was brought here intentionally—as the bait.


I have a confession to make.  I only read the original Twilight.  I never finished the series. The reason being, I didn't love Twilight.  Initially, I gave it 4 stars, but looking back, I probably should have made it 2 or 3.  That being said, I had heard Crave be compared to Twilight, as a so called revival of YA vampire books. So, I figured why not?

I thought Crave was much better than Twilight.  The reason being, I felt like the book didn't take itself too seriously.   Yes, there is insta-love and a brooding hero in Jaxon.  However, that didn't annoy me this time around.  It's because the heroine, Grace was actually a pretty strong character.  She wasn't wishy washy and didn't sit around waiting for someone to save her.  Jaxon may have been a bit misguided in his wanting to protect Grace, but he didn't annoy me.   I really liked the other character in the book as well, especially Grace's cousin.

There were a few things that did annoy me.  I found the use of  pop culture references a bit much and took me out of the story at times.   Those make me feel like the book will feel dated in the future.  I would have liked if I could have just been immersed in the supernatural aspect of the book and not be reminded of the real world.  I also kind of got tired of the "keeping the truth from the heroine for her own good" trope.  Knowledge is power people.  Ultimately, I did enjoy the book.  It was a lot of fun with fun characters.  The book ended on a HUGE cliffhanger, so I want to read the next one to see what happens next.  I do recommend this one.

1 comment:

Ethan said...

I'm on the same boat as you, though I couldn't even finish reading Twilight. The writing just wasn't working for me. It very much read like a fan fiction.

This sounds like it could be a really good alternative!