Pages

Friday, December 31, 2021

Books I DNF'd in December




Holding
: I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to this book.  It got good reviews.  I was confused and bored.  It could be because I listened to the audiobook and the accent was kind o thick.  Maybe had I read the actual book, I might have liked it more.  There were also too many perspectives in the beginning.  Not for me.

Getaway:  At this point, I should just give up on this author.  I try to be optimistic and give authors multiple chances.  But this is the 3rd book that I have DNF'd by her.  I was immediately turned off by the "traumatic attack" that the one sister was a victims of.  Why are we using real life events for a fictional book?  Just my opinion, but it turned me off.

Grimrose Girls
:  Let's take a bunch of cliche teens and put them in a  private boarding school.  Then try to shoehorn them into a bunch of fairytale retellings and you have this mess.  I got about 40% in and had to stop listening.  I was bored.  I didn't like any of the characters.  Clearly this was not a book for me.


The Other Black Girl:  I'm not sure why this book got such good reviews.    I disliked the main character immensely.  She never seemed to take any responsibility for anything that she did.  She didn't understand why she wasn't moving ahead in the company.  But she also never showed initiative, which would be something a boss would be looking for in order to promote someone.  I don't always have to like a main character, but I just didn't care for this one. 


No comments: