Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

November Mini Musings (4 Reviews)



The Girls are Never Gone
:  This ended up being an OK read for me.  The overall story was just meh. However, there was one thing that bugged me and kind of ruined the book for me. The main character was a diabetic and  she had a useless service dog.  There is no way any training agency would allow that dog to become a service dog for someone with diabetes.  Especially since she only did her job 25% of the time.  That really bugged me because it wasn't remotely realistic.  If you are going to put in a detail like that at least get it right.  


The Bitterwine Oath: This is another disappointing read.  I thought it had a great premise.  But the characters were clichĂ©s and forgettable.  I'm tired of the trope where the "chosen girl" suddenly finds out when at age 18 that she is special with powers. But no one will tell her anything that she needs to know...."For her own good".  The curse was dumb .  I didn't understand why there was such resistance to finding a new solution to ending the curse.  It's not like anything else had ever worked. What did they have to lose? I'm not sure I would not recommend this one.

Small Town Monsters
:  I ended up really enjoying this one.  I liked the premise of people in the town slowly becoming seemingly possessed.  The cult was creepy.  The main characters were opposites yet worked well together.  The entire story was creepy and kept be engaged.  I definitely recommend this one!


Never Fall for Your FiancĂ©:  This was a cute yet frustrating historical romance.  The hero, Hugh, was a bit infuriating in his stubbornness.  But I loved the banter between him and Minerva. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments. The other characters were colorful and a lot of fun.  Especially Hugh's mother and butler.  The ending was very sweet.  I look forward to reading the next one in the series.


No comments: