Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2022

Review: The Cage by Bonnie Kistler

Author: Bonnie Kistler
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: February 2022

On a cold, misty Sunday night, two women are alone in the offices of fashion conglomerate Claudine de Martineau International. One is the company's human resources director. Impeccably dressed and perfectly coiffed, she sits at her desk and stares somberly out the window. Down the hall, her colleague, one of the company's lawyers, is buried under a pile of paperwork, frantically rushing to finish.

Leaving at the same time, the two women, each preoccupied by her own thoughts, enter the elevator that will take them down from the 30th floor.

When they arrive at the lobby, one of the women is dead. Was it murder or suicide?

In the beginning of The Cage, two women go into an elevator and only one comes out alive. The rest of the book follows Shay as she tries to prove that she did didn't kill Lucy.  It also follows one other perspective as well.  This isn't exactly a thriller.  It's more of a legal mystery.  I have kind of mixed feelings about the book.  I liked it, I just didn't love it.

I almost DNF'd it. I wasn't a fan of Shay in the beginning. She recounts the events of the five years before the elevator event.  All of her choices were really surprising given her education.  I had a hard time buying that a lawyer would react the way she did after she was laid off.  She didn't want to apply for lower level law firms but has no problem taking a job in a bar when desperate.  I also had a hard time buying that  lawyer would speak to the police without her own representation.  Especially one who had volunteered for the Innocence Project.  

At about the halfway mark, the book got better and I started liking Shay a lot more.    Shay ended up being a lot smarter and conniving than I was expecting.  There were some twists that I enjoyed. The ending was perfect.  I do recommend this one,  If you go into it expecting more of a legal mystery, then you will enjoy it a lot more.



No comments: