Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Review: 14 Ways to Die by Vincent Ralph

Author: Vincent Ralph
Publisher: Sourcebooks 
Fire
Publication Date: June 2021

Ten years ago, Jess's mother was murdered by the Magpie Man.

She was the first of his victims but not the last.

Now Jess is the star of a YouTube reality series and she's using it to catch the killer once and for all.

The whole world is watching her every move.

And so is the Magpie Man.


I have been on a YA mystery kick lately.  14 Ways to Die is one of the better ones that I have read.  It involves Jess, whose mother was murdered by a serial killer.  She agrees to go on a reality YouTube show.  Cameras will follow her as she hunts for her mother's killer.  

I ended up enjoying this one. I listened to the audiobook in one day.  I liked Jess and her drive to figure out what happened to her mother.  She did take some risks that I would have advised her not to, but it paid off in the end.  Using herself as bait was not the brightest idea.  I'm also not sure that I would want to be followed 24 hours a day, but I guess some people don't mind.  The story has a few twists and I didn't call the ending.  One thing that did bug me about the audio version of the book was the narrator.  The story takes place in England, yet the narrator had an American accent.  I definitely threw me off.  I would have preferred a British accent for the voices.   Despite that, I do recommend this one. 



No comments: