Pages

Monday, August 8, 2022

Review: Hide and Seeker by Daka Hermon

Author: Daka Hermon
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: September 2020

I went up the hill, the hill was muddy, stomped my toe and made it bloody, should I wash it?

Justin knows that something is wrong with his best friend. Zee went missing for a year. And when he came back, he was . . . different. Nobody knows what happened to him. At Zee's welcome home party, Justin and the neighborhood crew play Hide and Seek. But it goes wrong. Very wrong.

One by one, everyone who plays the game disappears, pulled into a world of nightmares come to life. Justin and his friends realize this horrible place is where Zee had been trapped. All they can do now is hide from the Seeker.

Hide and Seeker is a middle grade horror that definitely satisfied my inner middle school self.  It involves a Justin, who attends a welcome home party after his best friend returns home after being missing for a year.  The biggest problem is that Zee is different.  When another party goer suggests playing Hide and Seek, things go very wrong.

 Adult me, enjoyed this one and middle school me would have devoured it.  It was creepy and honestly actually scary at times. I liked that the author was willing to put the kids in danger to a point that the reader isn't quite sure if they will survive the ordeal.  The characters were interesting and not annoying.  Each character has fears that they have to face in order to survive.  I'm not going to lie, they were all creepy.  I highly recommend this one.  It was a lot of fun and would be a great addition to any middle grade library.

No comments: