Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2022

Review: Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six by Lisa Unger

Author: Lisa Under
Publisher: Park Row
Publication Date: November 2022

What could be more restful, more restorative, than a weekend getaway with family and friends? An isolated luxury cabin in the woods, complete with spectacular views, a hot tub and a personal chef. Hannah’s loving and generous tech-mogul brother found the listing online. The reviews are stellar. It’s his birthday gift to Hannah and includes their spouses and another couple. The six friends need this trip with good food, good company and lots of R & R, far from the chatter and pressures of modern life.

But the dreamy weekend is about to turn into a nightmare. A deadly storm is brewing. The rental host seems just a little too present. The personal chef reveals that their beautiful house has a spine-tingling history. And the friends have their own complicated past, with secrets that run blood deep. How well does Hannah know her brother, her own husband? Can she trust her best friend? And who is the new boyfriend, crashing their party? Meanwhile, someone is determined to ruin the weekend, looking to exact a payback for deeds long buried. Who is the stranger among them?

I was really looking forward to Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six.  I am a big fan of this author.  Sadly, I really did not like this book. I guess even favorite author have their duds once in a while.  The premise sounded great.  I love isolation - closed room thrillers.  This one involves a group of six friends who get away for a weekend in the woods. Great premise, but I just didn't get what I was hoping for.

One of my biggest issues is that they don't even get to the cabin until about halfway through the story.  I didn't get any creepy vibes once they got there.  We all know why they feel like they are being watched.  Because we are told who is doing the watching.  And it isn't really even that relevant to the overall story.  The first half of the book is boring.  I didn't care for any of the points of view.  None of the characters were remotely likable.  I wasn't really rooting for any of them.  The big reveal was disappointing.  I mean in theory, I guess it could happen.   It is a quick read, which is why I finished it.  But I don't really recommend it.
  

No comments: