Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Review: The Retreat by Karen King

Author: Karen King
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: October 2023

The sunlight dances on the turquoise pool as I wait for our first guests. But my blood turns to ice when I recognize one of them as an old friend and a flood of guilt and fear comes rushing back. Is she here to ruin my life for a second time?

‘It’s been so long’, Saskia says as she hugs me. I plaster the smile back on my face, my hands shaking as I usher our guests into the traditional Spanish farmhouse we’ve spent years renovating to perfection. Saskia and I had been so close, until she betrayed me.

Now I’ve started a new life here in Spain. I met José and fell in love with his deep brown eyes, and together we opened our own retreat nestled high in the mountains. But José has no idea about the real me – I know he wouldn’t be able to look me in the eye if he ever found out that I have blood on my hands.

Then I discover our beautiful water fountain stained a deep red. My heart pounds with fear because it feels like a warning. And all my worst nightmares are confirmed when I find a note in my bedroom, revealing my terrible secret.

I was with Saskia all day, so I know it can’t be her. Which means that someone else at the retreat knows the truth about me – and they’re here for revenge.

But this perfect new life means everything to me. And I’ll do anything to protect it…

A totally unputdownable psychological thriller packed with jaw-dropping twists. Perfect for fans of Lisa Jewell, Mark Edwards and K.L. Slater.

In The Retreat, a couple has invited a small group of people to to help launch their new retreat/resort.  It has to be a success in order for it to succeed.  However, it seems someone is out to sabotage the retreat. Can Eva figure it out before everything is ruined?

This was an Ok mystery.  I found the pacing to be a bit slow. I also didn't really like any of the characters. It was hard to connect with any of them.  There is one reveal that was really obvious that I couldn't understand why Eva and Jose didn't think of it themselves.  The other revelations were fairly  underwhelming and ones that I have seen before.  It's not a bad story, it was just not as thrilling as I was hoping it would be.

No comments: