Pages

Monday, December 18, 2023

Review: The Haunting by Natasha Preston

Author; Natasha Preston
Publisher: Delacourte Press
Publication Date: September 2023

Haunted by the past . . .

Penny's trying to forget about her ex, Nash. His father was arrested for the brutal murder of four teenagers on Devil's Night last year. Penny's parents have forbidden her to have anything to do with Nash or his family. It's hard not to think of what happened as spooky season gets underway--but she's trying.

That stops when she goes to the Halloween store with her friends to find a costume. What she finds instead is ripped from a horror movie: a girl from school bleeding out on the floor of a dressing room. Stabbed.

Is a copycat killer on the loose? The adults are saying no. But Penny knows better.

The Haunting is the latest YA horror from this author.  A year ago, Penny's boyfriend's father was arrested as a serial killer who murdered four teens.  Now Halloween is coming up once again and Penny finds the first body.  Could it be happening again?  If so, who is the new killer?

I thought his was a fun YA slasher.  It reminded me of the slashers of the 80s and 90s, like the movie Scream.  I was kept guessing until he end.  That reveal is how you do a twist.  I really liked it.  I didn't love the cliffhanger though.  I will have to speculate that all ended up well in the end.  I also really enjoyed the characters.  The characters really enhanced the book.  I also liked that the parents were actually involved in the story. There is a romance, but it wasn't annoying.  I won't spoil this one. I do highly recommend it.


No comments: